Cherokee County Fire
& Emergency Services

Fire Marshal Permits | Burn Permits

Commercial Permits | Residential Permits

Burn Season Begins October, 1st 2017 and Runs Through April 30th, 2018

Homeowners or residents of single-family residential property are authorized to have open fires provided all of the following requirements are met.

  1. The fire(s) must be on the property occupied by the person receiving the permit.
  2. Only natural vegetation can be destroyed by burning. "Natural vegetation" includes sticks, tree parts six inches and less in diameter, grass, pine straw, hedge trimmings, etc. Burning of poison oak, poison ivy, and any other vegetation which produces severe respiratory damage is not allowed. Burning of cardboard, treated wood, materials containing petroleum products, i.e., tires, plastics, wire insulation, roofing shingles, etc., is not allowed.
  3. No vegetation pile shall be larger than six feet in diameter by two feet in height.
  4. There shall be a minimum of ten feet between vegetation piles.
  5. No burning is allowed within 50 feet of a structure.
  6. No burning is allowed within 25 feet of a wooded area, pine island, or other lightweight class A fuel.
  7. No fire shall be within 25 feet of the adjacent property line.
  8. All open fires shall be constantly attended by a competent person 16 years of age or older to monitor and control such burning. A rake, shovel, or similar hand tool, and charged water hose that will reach to the most remote point of the burn material is to be immediately available.
  9. No more than two burning piles are allowed at any one time.
  10. Failure to comply with these rules which results in an uncontrolled fire or a valid complaint by nearby property owner(s) or resident that requires the response of the county fire and rescue service will result in the fire being extinguished immediately.
  11. Fires will be authorized between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and one hour before sunset

Types of Fires Allowed Year Round:

Recreational fires where only logs or clean wood are being burned for pleasure, religious ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes are allowed year-round. The total fuel area for recreational fires cannot exceed 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height with a minimum of 25 feet from all structures. No garbage or yard waste can be burned during these types of burns. No recreational burning is allowed on windy days (10 mph or greater) or on days when atmospheric conditions could cause smoke to remain low to the ground (cloudy, overcast, or rainy days). Recreational fires must be attended by an adult at ALL times. Access to a water hose or fire extinguisher must be available to reach the fire if needed.

Bonfires which are larger than recreational fires are also allowed year-round as long as only logs or clean wood are being burned. Bonfires must be 50 feet from structures, 25 feet from wooded areas or pine islands, and 25 feet from adjacent property lines. A bonfire permit is required to be issued by the Fire Marshal's Office. Please call 678-493-6290 to request an inspection and obtain a permit.

Commercial Permits

Woodstock and Canton Residents

To obtain a commercial burn permit for a location within the city limits of either Canton or Woodstock, contact the appropriate city:

Residential Permits

Residential burn permits should be acquired on a daily basis and are subject to weather restrictions. Residential burn permits are issued for hand piled natural vegetation only (see Residential Burn Permit Guidelines ) and cannot include construction debris, tires, plastics, and other man-made material. The issuing of these permits is dependent on the location within the county where you would like to burn.

Please note the following:

To obtain a residential burn permit for a location within the city limits of either Canton or Woodstock, contact the appropriate city: